The Junior League of Dayton was organized with 10 charter members in 1920 and admitted to membership in the Junior Leagues of America that same year. The Dayton Women’s Club was the site for the initial meeting of the Junior League of Dayton on October 31, 1919. Affiliation with the Junior League of America was secured and Dayton became the second League in Ohio with the adoption of the Charter, February 1920 (Cleveland was Ohio’s first League). In November of 1935, The Junior League of Dayton, Inc. was incorporated. Then, as now, the Junior League of Dayton’s purpose was to foster interest among members in social, economic, educational, civic and cultural conditions of the community, and to make efficient the volunteer service that is a requirement for active membership.
Today, the Junior League of Dayton has a membership of nearly 500 women in the Greater Dayton Area and continues to serve the community through promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. It is a remarkable story of continuous growth and steadfast commitment to a mission of community service. The Junior League of Dayton’s purpose is exclusively educational and charitable. This Dayton Original reaches out to women of all races, religions, and national origins who demonstrate an interest in and commitment to voluntarism.